Sunday, September 27, 2015

Thanks

I want to thank everyone who offered help and advice in response to the preceding post. My ladyfriend is trying many of your suggestions, and there has been definite improvement. The real secret seems to be activity and exercise.

I will be back to writing soon -- maybe tomorrow. I've been working on a children's book. It's a self-generated project, utterly outrageous but still (sort of) appropriate for young readers. Most of all, it is completely unlike those thuddingly didactic kids' books I used to illustrate, back when I worked for other people. As I've said before, the problem with most children's literature is that it is written by parents. Well-meaning parents invariably write do-gooder stories filled with important lessons: Be tolerant, don't litter, and do your homework.

Yuck. Who wants to read that?

Anyways, it occurs to me that I could use this blog to push the book that I am creating, which means that I'll have to keep the blog going. And if I want to do that, then I'll have to catch up with -- Lord help me -- the news.

Yuck. Who wants to read that?

Although I've taken a much-needed respite from headline-watching, I've been told that Boehner is out. That's the good news. The bad news is that the Party of Crazy has found a way to become crazier still.

Depressing. Reading the news is always depressing. Time to head back to the Wacom tablet.

But before I do that, I want to mention that I've been watching the fourth series of that marvelous BBC show Fake or Fortune?, which you can find online if you know where to look. One question: Why is there no-one like Fiona Bruce on American television? That woman is incredibly smart, classy, poised, professional and charming. I know that we have plenty of women in this county who are smart, classy, poised, professional and charming -- but for some reason, we usually don't put them in front of television cameras.

6 comments:

jo6pac said...

Take all the time you want we will still be back to check once a while to see if you come around again. I'm some one that was never brave enough to have children and to those of you that have my hat is off to you.

I do hope some of the info from last post helps:)

Joseph Cannon said...

Well, as I said before, my personal theory is that the best writers of kid lit never had children of their own -- Dr. Suess and E. Nesbitt being good examples. Kids' books should be written by uncles and aunts, not by mothers and fathers.

notjonathon said...

Why is there no-one like Fiona Bruce on American television?

It's the British accent, of course.

Anonymous said...

Roald Dahl, the ultimate childrens' storyteller.
JL

Bob Harrison said...

Having failed as a Wacom tablet user, I'd like to read something on your experiences with the tablet.

Unknown said...

Cannon--

Been looking to you for REAL news with a good friend for a long time.

Don't quit. Your followers need you. SOMEBODY has to have an idea what really happened, whence the hit really does hit the proverbial fan for good.

Regards,