Sunday, June 12, 2016

Susan Sarandon, idiot

From a thread on Democratic Underground, we learn of two tweets from Susan Sarandon, who -- like all brainwashed BernieBots -- is now spewing hate at Elizabeth Warren.
Susan Sarandon Retweeted Elizabeth Warren

Is this meant to be ironic after you just endorsed Clinton???

Susan Sarandon added,

Elizabeth Warren @SenWarren
Government should be accountable to the people, not Wall Street lobbyists, deep-pocketed donors, and secretive Super PACs.
That's the first tweet. Here's the second one:
Susan Sarandon Verified account
‏@SusanSarandon

Beautiful cashmere collection, Italian-made @FalconeriTweet in Taormina. Thank you! So generous and fun.

I've been poor most of my life. Like hell I'm going to accept lectures on income inequality from the likes of her. Did you know that Sarandon owns three homes in New York City?

(My bĂȘte noire Roger Stone and I have one thing in common: Like him, I have not bought clothing retail in many years. And lemme tell ya -- the thrift stores out here on the east coast are much better than the ones in California.)

Sarandon, you will recall, stumped for Nader back in 2000, on the grounds that Gore was an unendurable corporatist. None of the purist progs who hated Gore back then can now recall why they hated him so fervently. Since a vote for Nader was a vote for Dubya -- as was obvious at the time to anyone with a functional brain -- Sarandon bears a certain measure of direct responsibility for the Iraq war.

Here she is on the Young Turks, telling one and all that Trump is preferable to Clinton:
On Thursday, the 69-year-old actress told The Young Turks that Clinton is scarier because, unlike Trump, she knows what Clinton’s foreign policy is and she feels it’s not good for this country.
Trump is backed by Sheldon Adelson. He counts Walid Phares (the butcher of Lebanon) and the ultra-right-wing Joseph Schmitz among his closest advisers. Trump's best friend over the course of many years is Roger Stone, who has worked on behalf of the bloodiest dictators in history. Trump is praised wildly by the Likud press in Israel. He has referred to the Palestinian leadership as a branch of ISIS. He wants to scuttle the agreement with Iran -- and has made pretty clear that he wants war with Iran. (War would give Trump an excuse institute a dictatorial powers here at home.)

Ignore Trump's words: We all know that Trump says whatever he thinks his audience wants to hear. Look at his crowd. Trump's history and associations tell us all.

Hillary's associates are very wide-ranging. If you are a reactionary intent on portraying her as a far-left acolyte of the dreaded Saul Alinski, you'll find someone in Hillary's background who can be used to prove your point. Same story if you are a BernOut intent on portraying her as a hireling of the oligarchs.

The association that means the most to me is the one she tried to keep secret. Hillary set up that private email server primarily as a way of communicating with two people: 1. Tyler Drumheller, the hero who was kicked out of the CIA because he exposed Bush's fraudulent evidence against Iraq, and 2. Sidney Blumenthal, the father of the world's most effective advocate for Palestinian justice. The emails make clear that Sidney proudly sent Max Blumenthal's books to Hillary and her staff -- and that they read those works.

Hillary links to Drumheller and Blumenthal. Trump links to Stone and Adelson.

Clinton did a lot of things as Secretary of State that I did not like, but -- as I have come to understand while reading HRC (and yes, I know I should have gotten around to that book ages ago), policy really was set by Obama, whom I did not support in 2008.

It is true that she voted for the authorization of military force 2002 -- as did most other congressfolk at the time. Yet we speak of Hillary as though she bears sole responsibility, a fact which says much about the power of misogyny and much more about the power of Clinton Derangement Syndrome. (Some dimwit progs would have you believe that she forced W to go to war.) Everyone forgets that the measure was extremely popular and that she voted the way her constituents wanted her to vote; we have made Hillary Clinton into the scapegoat for our collective sin.

She later expressed regret for that vote -- and when she and Obama served in the Senate, her record was somewhat to the left of his when it came to the war.

Has Susan Sarandon ever expressed regret for supporting Dubya in 2000? Remember: At the time it was crystal clear that a vote for Nader was a vote for Bush.

Can we really take Susan Sarandon seriously as a critic of the one percent when she is of that class and exemplifies their values? More to the point: Can we really take Susan Sarandon seriously as a critic of the one percent when she's telling us to vote for Donald fucking Trump, the High Priest of the Golden Calf?

14 comments:

ColoradoGuy said...

Very good point, Joe. Anyone that supported Nader in 2000 has nothing to say to us now. They have blood on their hands; they can dance away from it all they like, but a vote for Nader was a real-world vote for President Cheney. In 2016, a vote for Jill Stein is a vote for a real, no-joke psychopath at the top of ticket.

Anonymous said...

That's a little unfair don't you think? If being poor was a necessary condition to criticise the status quo, then HRC would be disqualified too. So you have a nice catch 22. The only persons qualified to criticise the status quo are those too poor to have a voice which carries.

Harry

Alessandro Machi said...

The reason Hillary Clinton has an email scandal at all is because she wanted to have out of the box intel without in the box people seeing it. Otherwise, she becomes a corporatist. How can Sarandon not get that?

Anonymous said...

Those looking to save on the new generic Plavix (clopidogrel) are in luck. We phoned 30 pharmacies around the U.S. and found the price for a month's supply of the 75 milligram (mg) dose varied from less than $15 at several Costco pharmacies to $175 or more at the CVS, Target, and Walgreens stores we contacted

joseph said...

I notice that you are spending a great deal of money on insulin. I have extra. Does the dog use lantus, regular or 70/30. I can next day some to wherever you like. I have been assured that modern insulin does not need the refrigeration that is usually mandated. I do keep mine in the fridge, but it should be ok if I send it.

Anonymous said...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/12/wikileaks-to-publish-more-hillary-clinton-emails-julian-assange

30k emails. I doubt they were all addressed to and from Drumheller and Blumenthal. It seems that Mrs Clinton did not actually have a state department email account. Which suggests that perhaps this email account was more widely used than you suggest. Either way, isnt she obligated to store emails pertaining to her job as Sec of State?

At least with the wiki-leaks publication we will get some insight into her thinking. Maybe we can put these questions to bed.

Bob Harrison said...

Her power to the people routine would be a tad more truthy if she gave away, say 50%, of her wealth to the poor and downtrodden, but like most revolutionaries, she'll leave the actual fightin' and dyin' and inconvenience and stuff to those other people.

anonymous said...

RE: insulin. I'm confused. I saw the banner over to the right about your dog needing insulin and sent in a small donation. I took early retirement this year, there being almost no job prospects for older women, and do not have much extra income. Are you sending this on to other people? I did not want to donate to anyone else.

anonymous said...

RE: insulin. I'm confused. I saw the banner over to the right about your dog needing insulin and sent in a small donation. I took early retirement this year, there being almost no job prospects for older women, and do not have much extra income. Are you sending this on to other people? I did not want to donate to anyone else.

A different anonymous that the one above

Joseph Cannon said...

Anon...first, thank you so much.

Second, if you are hurting, I'd like to repay your generous donation. I never wanted any money from someone who could not afford it.

Third, I have actually been able to repay all or nearly all of what I borrowed to pay for the pooch's diabetes treatment, so I should remove that ad. I had hoped to do so after Sanders formally concedes, as many are saying he will on Tuesday.

When that happens, I'll redesign the site again. Maybe I'll go back to the old image that used to be at the top of the page, maybe I'll do something brand new. Haven't made up my mind.

Thanks again to one and all.

After a very bad scare, George is feeling much better. I had my first experience with hypoglycemia...actually a bounce from one extreme to the other...and it was pretty scary. But we finally have him regularized. He lost a lot of weight during this illness and now seems desperate to put it all back on immediately!

But he still piddles frequently -- woke me up five times last night. Having a diabetic dog is not recommended to anyone who enjoys uninterrupted REM cycles.

Again, thanks so much to all.

anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on George's condition - very good to know he's better.

My being unable to care for my beloved cat when I first lost my professional job was one of the very worst parts of that awful time. Thankfully, we made it through, but it's not something anyone should have to endure.

Now back to my regularly scheduled tiny donations - i.e. Hillz (whose team has no hesitation whatsoever about asking for $$ from anyone, anywhere :) )

anonymous said...

(apologies in advance if this one posts twice - Blogger hates me, I hate Blogger)

Thanks for the update on George's condition - very good to know he's better.

My being unable to care for my beloved cat when I first lost my professional job was one of the very worst parts of that awful time. Thankfully, we made it through, but it's not something anyone should have to endure.

Now back to my regularly scheduled tiny donations - i.e. Hillz (whose team has no hesitation whatsoever about asking for $$ from anyone, anywhere :) )

Arbusto205 said...

For anon 11:11, there are two Josephs here. One uses a capital and the other does not. I believe that might be the source of your confusion.

As for big J, I have a donation story and some Trump Intl info (which unfortunately does not involve Trump) I'll write up in an email for you in the next week. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

I know my comment is late to the party but I wanted to address the point about a rich person being unable to question the status quo - of course we are all free to do so; however, for her to turn around and be a shill to fashion industry corporations (L'Oreal, Falconeri) is a bit rich. I'd also be curious to know if Sarandon's wealth is managed without the help of Wall Street investments or brokers.